Monday, March 30, 2009

So what is Goth anyway

That question is about as complex as the recipe for Canned worms.
I'm forty. I'm sure Goth is something very different to me than anyone of 15, or even 25 who reads this. I do know what it is isn't.

Goth isn't
  • Black Metal
  • It isn't Indie
  • It isn't high street fashionable
  • It doesn't come out of Hot Topic(Whatever that is).
  • And it doesn't come neatly packaged, no matter what Gok Wan says.
  • It isn't about Vampires, but Vampires are sexy (in books and films, in real life they just suck).
  • It isn't a phase any more than breathing, eating, sleeping and horizontal gymnastics.
  • It isn't Satan worship, or any kind of religion.

So What is it then?

  • Well for me, it is about kinship
  • Being happy
  • Having fun dressing and acting how I want to act.
  • Not being restrained (although those who enjoy it are welcome).
  • Not being classed as a deviant by my peers (I'm no more perverted than the commons).
  • Remembering my yotuh.
  • Enjoying a monochrome world that is enlightened by any colour it encounters.
Goth is a broad church with many followers, the biggest thing we have in common is a desire to look fabulous and an acceptance of others, we don't get called freaks for nothing, and it isn't always because of what you can see.

Enjoy this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment