Thursday, April 30, 2009

I have that yearning. A car from my past.

We all have that car from the past we regretted selling.
For me it was a Saab 900 T16S. It cost me £300 because it was an "early" one, was badly advertised and only had a short MOT. Up until then I had an obsession with old soviet era Skodas, basic simple old and cheap. The 900 was my first grown up car. With the help of the guys over at Saab Central and Saab Scene I was able to tweak it a little and fix a couple of niggle and make a lot of friends.

Thing is, apart from the odd front handbrake, a very early T16S is the ideal car to have. OK so it wasn't black and didn't have leather or air conditioning, it boosted properly and pulled like a train, and it passed the MOT with a tweak of the handbrake settings.

Drove that car for two years and lived with a mystery oil leak. I couldn't fix it and finally gave up.

Then the day it was sold and due to be collected I found it was either the oil cooler or one of it's hoses that had split and was spraying back in the wind when the engine was running and the car was moving. I was gutted.

So now I have that yearning again. OK this time I want a later one. It must be black and it must have Buffalo leather interior with with a Suede Momo or OMP steering wheel. I have a decent CD/MP3 headunit to go in, and it has the benefit of a bluetooth handsfree built in.

It wouldn't need much tuning, stock performance would be fine, but I would like to tweak it to make it personal, like fitting a Bi-Xenon H4 H.I.D Kit and LED bulbs throughout the rest of the car, including the dash and interior lights will lower the current requirements and put less strain on the alternator.

Carbon fibre trim would make a change from the usual wood, and make it look a little more modern with aluminium switches.

A suspension a fettle would help with the handl, dropped springs decent heavy duty shocks and some polybushes would help there.

Then there is the brakes. A set of 9000 Aero caliper and 9000 Aero fitting Brembo grooved discs and some decent ceramic pads will make things stop properly.

Once I'm happy with that, who knows, the sky is the limit, they are a tough old car and love to be loved and love to be driven.

No comments:

Post a Comment